ImageImage

server difficulty

Dinosaurs and assault rifles. What more could you want? Ark: Survival Evolved discussions here.

Poll: Is the Difficulty too high?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:51 pm

Yes.
13%
No.
38%
Meh.
50%
Total votes: 8

bigbearmelanson
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 3 SHIPS

server difficulty

Post#1 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:51 pm

So, Since **** has decided to boycott our server now, i think it's about time to take a poll on the difficulty on the server.
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_G5gCIiI-A[/url]

MrGoat

Re: server difficulty

Post#2 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:01 pm

MEH

CptShack
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 75 SHIPS

Post#3 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:18 pm

The PxP Server has been brought up to more official server difficulty levels. The game was set to easy and now is set to a more normal level. When the server is open and PVP starts up its going to be much harder than it is now.
We increased the dino's first to try and give our guys an edge training up. Admins are not partaking in the pvp aspect of the game or giving out gear other than as prizes for events.

sum1

Post#4 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:32 pm

for those who do not know the difficulty is set at 2. I feel like I am trying to play dark souls....

Mercier

Post#5 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:56 pm

To summarize the changes I've made:

1. DifficultyOffset=2 (Official Servers are 1)
2. DinoDamageMultiplier=2 (Increases damage Dinos do - OS are at 1)
3. DinoResistanceMultiplier=0.3 (Decreases damage done to Dinos by all sources - OS are at 1)
4. DinoCountMultiplier=1.3 (Increases the number of Dino spawns in game)
5. StructureResistanceMultiplier=0.750000 (Decreases damage structures take by 25% from all sources - OS are at 1)
6. TamingSpeedMultiplier=1.3 (Speeds up taming - OS are at 1)
7. PlayerCharacterFoodDrainMultiplier=0.8 (Decreases the amount of food players need to eat - OS are at 1)
8. PlayerCharacterWaterDrainMultiplier=1.4 (Increases the amount of water players need to drink - OS are at 1)
9. DinoCharacterFoodDrainMultiplier=1.5 (Increases the amount of food dinos need to be fed - OS are at 1)

So people know what the settings are. Reasoning:

1. I don't mind changing this back to 1. I was asked by Mrgoat and a few others to change it so that Dinos could spawn at level 90. For level 90 this setting must be set to 2.
2. I did this to make it more challenging fighting and taming Dinos and balance #6.
3. I did this to make it more challenging fighting and taming Dinos, so people's Dinos don't get killed as easily, and to balance #6.
4. Did this to increase the number of Dinos to make it more dangerous in the wilderness.
5. Did this to make it harder to raid. Moot as we don't have non PXP on the server yet.
6. Did this so it doesn't take 8 hours to tame Dinos.
7. We eat more than we drink in vanilla ARK. Makes no sense. This and #8 flip that.
8. We eat more than we drink in vanilla ARK. Makes no sense. This and #7 flit that.
9. Did this to stem the number of Dinos people tame.

sum1

Post#6 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:14 am

Mercier wrote:To summarize the changes I've made:

1. DifficultyOffset=2 (Official Servers are 1)
2. DinoDamageMultiplier=2 (Increases damage Dinos do - OS are at 1)
3. DinoResistanceMultiplier=0.3 (Decreases damage done to Dinos by all sources - OS are at 1)
4. DinoCountMultiplier=1.3 (Increases the number of Dino spawns in game)
5. StructureResistanceMultiplier=0.750000 (Decreases damage structures take by 25% from all sources - OS are at 1)
6. TamingSpeedMultiplier=1.3 (Speeds up taming - OS are at 1)
7. PlayerCharacterFoodDrainMultiplier=0.8 (Decreases the amount of food players need to eat - OS are at 1)
8. PlayerCharacterWaterDrainMultiplier=1.4 (Increases the amount of water players need to drink - OS are at 1)
9. DinoCharacterFoodDrainMultiplier=1.5 (Increases the amount of food dinos need to be fed - OS are at 1)

So people know what the settings are. Reasoning:

1. I don't mind changing this back to 1. I was asked by Mrgoat and a few others to change it so that Dinos could spawn at level 90. For level 90 this setting must be set to 2.
2. I did this to make it more challenging fighting and taming Dinos and balance #6.
3. I did this to make it more challenging fighting and taming Dinos, so people's Dinos don't get killed as easily, and to balance #6.
4. Did this to increase the number of Dinos to make it more dangerous in the wilderness.
5. Did this to make it harder to raid. Moot as we don't have non PXP on the server yet.
6. Did this so it doesn't take 8 hours to tame Dinos.
7. We eat more than we drink in vanilla ARK. Makes no sense. This and #8 flip that.
8. We eat more than we drink in vanilla ARK. Makes no sense. This and #7 flit that.
9. Did this to stem the number of Dinos people tame.

1: it seams to me that the only reason this was set is so the admins could tame high lvl dinos.
2: this is fine, not hyped on it.
3: I had to sit there and hit a Dodo 3 times with a rex to kill it....... it used more food killing it then I got from it.
4-7: I like these
8-9: so I have to spend more time doing maintenance and boring game play to get to play what I want?

Look I have no problem making the game hard, but I want to be able to play when I am the only one there. when I tried playing today I had to spend all my game time just trying to kill dinos and get food. this is not fun, I want time to be able to build and do other things. I want to be able to play when I am the only person on, or when there are only a few of us online. right now it seams like we would need 5+ people online at all times, working together to get anything done. we do not have enough people on the server at all times for a "hardcore" teamwork game-play. And if we even got this many people online, everyone is wanting to do their own thing. In short, the sever does not have enough people to sustain a high level of teamwork that would be required to run the server like this. Also forcing people to always have to be going out to get food for their dinos is in no way fun, and takes to much time with the raised difficulty of the dinos.

Mercier

Post#7 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:49 am

1 - As admins we can force tame and force level any dino we want. This was done by request of other players.

3 - I'll have to test. Others aren't having a problem killing dinos, but I will test.

7/8 - These make it so you eat less and drink more. Does it force you to carry more water? Yep. Does it make it more dangerous to venture deep inland or into caves when all you have is a single water pouch? Yep. Survival game.

9 - Yes, you don't get to have a huge army of dinos for free. With the previous setting feeding your dinos wasn't a problem at all.

An army of Dinos requires work to sustain. Goat and Tony were able to tame a Saber tonight by themselves. That isn't 5+ nor is it hardcore. It took about an hour.

What I don't understand is how you're upset about playing under settings that weren't turned on until about 5 hours ago. The only setting that was changed prior to my reboot today was the difficulty setting of 2. The rest of the changes took effect today around 4pm CST. Meaning you haven't been on the server since they took effect. Meaning your complaining about something you've not experienced.

I'm not an ass and I am not out to run people out of PXP or anything. If you have a concern, bring it to me. I will listen. I turned made taming take less time because -you- asked (and because I agreed with you). I didn't hear any complaints about the difficulty 2 setting prior to the 'boycott' thread. Not much I can do if I don't know. Nor will things change on a dime.

Edit: Most of the server settings will take time to find a happy medium. I'm not so sure I'm liking the food/water setting as I have it set now (above settings). I've been standing around in game for an hour and haven't had to eat at all. I've had to drink like very few minutes. Probably going to tinker more.

CptShack
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 75 SHIPS

Post#8 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:30 am

Mercier wrote:1 - As admins we can force tame and force level any dino we want. This was done by request of other players.

3 - I'll have to test. Others aren't having a problem killing dinos, but I will test.

7/8 - These make it so you eat less and drink more. Does it force you to carry more water? Yep. Does it make it more dangerous to venture deep inland or into caves when all you have is a single water pouch? Yep. Survival game.

9 - Yes, you don't get to have a huge army of dinos for free. With the previous setting feeding your dinos wasn't a problem at all.

An army of Dinos requires work to sustain. Goat and Tony were able to tame a Saber tonight by themselves. That isn't 5+ nor is it hardcore. It took about an hour.

What I don't understand is how you're upset about playing under settings that weren't turned on until about 5 hours ago. The only setting that was changed prior to my reboot today was the difficulty setting of 2. The rest of the changes took effect today around 4pm CST. Meaning you haven't been on the server since they took effect. Meaning your complaining about something you've not experienced.

I'm not an ass and I am not out to run people out of PXP or anything. If you have a concern, bring it to me. I will listen. I turned made taming take less time because -you- asked (and because I agreed with you). I didn't hear any complaints about the difficulty 2 setting prior to the 'boycott' thread. Not much I can do if I don't know. Nor will things change on a dime.

Well said. If anyone has issues with the setting let us know and we will test them out

sum1

Post#9 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:48 am

I don't know how many times I talked to you about not wanting the difficulty higher, (after it was changed to 1.0) it was something I said daily on mumble.... I did.

If I was playing before some of these changes then I am really done with the server, as it was a pain when I got on yesterday and now its only gotten worse. when I got home I hopped on to feed my dinos and they were already in need of care. to turn up the dino feed rate makes it so if you want to have any dinos you have to be on more and more, time most people do not have due to work/school/families.

I use to be able to play and just have fun, use it to relax and enjoy myself, now its just work and not getting to do what I want to do.

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#10 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:20 pm

Nothing is set in stone and this is still under discussion behind the scenes. It may be an issue of going to far and we can dial it back or maybe we need to dial it up even more if the PvP is going to be brutal. I'm sure we can work it out to a good level.

sum1

Post#11 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:04 pm

I think it is clear from the total lack of new people coming in from Reddit that this is now how most people want to play ark. Now I think I have said enough about it. so let me know if you guys end up changing it. until then I am going back to the other sever I played on.

Mercier

Post#12 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:41 pm

That is a rather large assumption on your part and one I think you're making to justify yourself. Official servers are set to difficulty 2, something you've complained about our server being set to. The lack of people coming to the server isn't due to settings - I've spoke with around eight other private server admins and they all have their settings nearly identical to ours with nearly full slots nightly. Our lack of people stems from having the server behind a password and a lack of advertising it.

You're welcome to play elsewhere, just as you're welcome to play on our box.

sum1

Post#13 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Mercier wrote:That is a rather large assumption on your part and one I think you're making to justify yourself. Official servers are set to difficulty 2, something you've complained about our server being set to. The lack of people coming to the server isn't due to settings - I've spoke with around eight other private server admins and they all have their settings nearly identical to ours with nearly full slots nightly. Our lack of people stems from having the server behind a password and a lack of advertising it.

You're welcome to play elsewhere, just as you're welcome to play on our box.

I have been reading around with other severs, (official are set to 1.0 from what I have been reading, idk where you are getting they are not.) I have not found many servers running anything close to 2.0 and all that (now I have not really been looking that much, because its not something I want to play). At the end of the day its your server, I am just upset that I put so much time into it, and now its something that is not enjoyable for me. I am not seeking to "justify myself" it is not fun for me to play, so I do not play. I am trying to help and be constructive in order to make the server better and help PXP, that is all. From what I have read the PXP server is set harder them most other servers, and has less people playing. That is a dot that I have connected, I am sure there is more to it then that. I am saying I believe its a factor.

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#14 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:29 pm

I don't believe the server is public yet so number of players may not be a good measure. I think there may be some balance issues that you are running into in that if you try to have too many dinos then the game will make it difficult for you to keep them all going. Maybe you can pare down your stock or something to get a more manageable resource gathering experience? Mercier is very open to finding the right balance. I think the goal is to raise the difficulty enough that the players on the server can handle PvP players and not get overwhelmed when we open it up. But we might manage that by only going PvP when admins are present or something.

Things are in flux. Maybe check back in a few days to see if there are any changes to the balance and such.

Mercier

Post#15 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:40 am

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/di ... 447032287/

This is the official developer patch note thread. Scroll down in the patch notes until 181.0, third note:

* Official Servers are now upgraded to the equivalent of "2.0" difficulty, rather than 1.0

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but I am not going to argue with you regarding the difficulty of our server any longer. Our server is just slightly more difficult than the official servers and that is debatable. The settings I've made were made to make the game more enjoyable and less prone to people being able to grief one another.

The server doesn't have a ton of players because there are a ton of servers out there and ours was behind a password. Not to mention we haven't been advertising it much. That has changed. The password is gone and the server is set to PvE and will shift to PvP on a schedule.

I understand you're upset that you feel you wasted your time and that is not my intention. I hear you when you say you want to do things other than gather food for your dinos. I understand that. I ask that you understand that I do not want to see people able to raise an army of a dozen dinos and run around laying waste to other people's stuff when PvP is turned on. That is part of the reason dinos require more work. You've made the choice to have a dozen dinos by yourself. If I make it so you can easily keep your dozen dinos - other people on the server can too. I don't think I need to tell you exactly how much death and destruction a dozen Trexes can cause?

The forums are full of people complaining about this type of behavior on official servers. I am trying to prevent it somewhat on our servers.

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#16 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:48 am

Okay, before things get more heated I'm going to lock this and we'll close the discussion of server difficulty for now. When things change or after we start going to an open server then we can revisit the issue if needed. Than you for all the input on every side and although we may not have reached a decision that everyone likes, we have thoroughly discussed it. If there is a lingering concern on anyone's part you can relay it to a Hypnotoad leader or PM me personally.

Return to “Jurassic Kiddie Park”