Hawk's looking for a new car.

This forum brought to you by Molten Boron! PUBLIC ACCESSIBLE FORUM
[Hawk]

Hawk's looking for a new car.

Post#1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:26 am

Hay guys, I'm looking for a new car, wana help? :D

Since 2007 I've been driving this:
Image -2008 KIA Rio
-its been a loyal thing, used mainly for school runs but more recently for my current job as an Uber driver. Its nearing 80k and never really was meant for ferrying customers around a college town, so I'm about ready to switch.

I have a decent idea of what I'm looking for (~2005+, <100k, <$14k, >25mpg, comfortable as a ride-share, and cheap to insure) but I haven't yet bought a car all on my own, so what I'm really after is just general advice. Time to buy for example, I've heard October is best to buy from dealerships but don't know if that applies for used cars.

Digital_Eide
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Re: Hawk's looking for a new car.

Post#2 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:38 am

My best advice is to buy a car which has a full and complete maintenance history recorded. That'll limit chances you get cheated anywhere along the way. Never buy anything without a thorough test drive. If you are interested in a car, look the type up on internet. What are common problems and how expensive is the type in maintenance generally.

Just some tips.
Call me DE ;)

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#3 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:05 am

Look at the Mazda 3. The five door is very versatile. The 2.3 or 2.5 liter engines are pretty powerful. The 2.0 SkyActiv engines in the later models are great on gas and decently powerful as well. I had one for 10 years and only had it in the shop ONCE for a recall.

Don't buy a Toyota if you have a soul.

If you want something more sexy/sporty then we can really talk.

Sinsa
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 3 SHIPS

Post#4 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:27 am

Flexo wrote:
Buy a Toyota if you want a good car.

Fixed your typo Flexo
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

[Hawk]

Post#5 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:42 am

Mazda 3 looks great, as would a 5 for that extra seat and sliding doors.

What do y'all think of the VW Passat wagon though? I'm seeing some really well equiped <100k ones at around $7-8k.

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#6 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:30 am

They are nice but rated less reliable than the Japanese brands. If you want a wagon the best are Subaru wagons. The Outback models will even take you on rough roads if you like the outdoors.

Figdbl
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY SHIP

Post#7 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:55 am

If you're driving Uber, don't get the Mazda 3. The rear leg room might be lacking for your needs. (Check it out first.)
The VW Passat is nice. Down sides are that they're mostly built in mexico, quality is down because of that. Cost a bit more to repair because of the name, and costs a bit more up front to buy. I'm also not a fan of the power but it should be good for what you need.
The Subarus are basically the VW but amplified, minus the issue with build quality and power. The awd does nothing for fuel economy either.
Don't get me wrong though. I love Subaru and their cars. For me, they're my style. The awd is also one of, if not, the best system in the market.
I grew up with VW all my life and I've seen the build quality change but they're still a car I'd drive.
The Mazda3 is probably the most fun cheap compact to drive out there. But I'm a small guy and I find the rear seats lacking in space.

Again, go check out some cars first.

Seeing as you're looking at used cars I would try and stay within the last six years or so. Unless you start looking at mid-sized sedans; then you might find something good.
When it comes to flirting, girls are playing chess, while men are playing bingo.

bigbearmelanson
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 3 SHIPS

Post#8 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:12 am

^listen to this guy
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_G5gCIiI-A[/url]

Figdbl
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY SHIP

Post#9 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:39 am

I have opinions... Lots of opinions. With the feels!
When it comes to flirting, girls are playing chess, while men are playing bingo.

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#10 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:32 am

Yeah, I missed the Uber thing. If that's a long term thing then maximum fuel mileage would be desirable to maximize your profit. A VW Jetta Diesel (wagon if you can find one) would probably be the best vehicle. A used Prius or other Hybrid would work well enough but make sure it has VERY low miles as you don't want to have to replace a battery after you get it. There is also a Ford Escape Hybrid that is pretty nice if you can find a low mileage one.

The Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata are good cars with decent mileage and plenty of room. Get the 4 Cylinder model for best mileage. Bonus on them is most have a 100K warranty.

epixstrat
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#11 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Flexo wrote:Yeah, I missed the Uber thing. If that's a long term thing then maximum fuel mileage would be desirable to maximize your profit. A VW Jetta Diesel (wagon if you can find one) would probably be the best vehicle.

I drive a 2002 VW Jetta. My dad drives the 2014 model. Both are excellent cars, I've pretty much only good things to say about these cars.

Digital_Eide
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#12 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Silly Americans with your Mexico built VWs :D
Call me DE ;)

theonly500
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 3 SHIPS

Post#13 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:04 pm

Yeah. In Europe they're mostly built inside of Europe. Therefore they are pretty decent builtquality. The only bad thing about the VW Group was their rubbertubing. They were eaten by martens almost every month. But now they've changed the rubber composit and all of those problems have dissapeared.

Digital_Eide
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#14 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:06 am

It's not entirely strange. Over here the Ford's built in the UK tend to have more issues than those built in other factories. Just funny to read that comment in light of German grundlichkeit. :D

Generally speaking Asian cars are superb in terms reliability. Had a Mitsubishi back in the day and driving a KIA now. Both are excellent cars with no issues other than regular wear and tear so far. Can't offer advise on types since manufacturers offer a seperate range of types and engines over there. In Europe cars tend to be smaller with much smaller engines than in the States.
Call me DE ;)

theonly500
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 3 SHIPS

Post#15 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:04 am

It is Gründlichkeit... That comes from the Top of the VW Group since they have many employees developing thechnology for them inside the EU and therefore either want to convince people to work for them because they built in a fairly good quality or want to show their current employees, that what they have done is a good product.

Ockey5

Post#16 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:34 am

GET THE PRIUSSSSSS I have a 2008 black Prius and baby I love her I posted vid of her somewhere in forums but almost 1AM and I'm not gonna find her for you. If I take it off cruise control and drive smartly on the accelerator I can get anywhere from 48-53 MPG I am at 183k miles now have never had to take her to the shop. Never had to replace the battery. If you do your regular inspections and don't abuse her she will treat you well. :D just don't get a pink one or I will slash your wheels when you sleep <3
scape goat plz say hi =)

Return to “Planet Express Lobby”