New forum theme

This forum brought to you by Molten Boron! PUBLIC ACCESSIBLE FORUM
Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Re: New forum theme

Post#17 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:02 am

Looks like there are some issues with the new template. I think it has to do with stylesheets being cached on user's browsers. I'm reverting to the previous template until I figure it out.

Vengeance76

Post#18 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:12 pm

I like the new look, but maybe lighten the grey a bit so it doesn't contrast so much with the green? I like the green, it screams PXP and we should keep it!

The only qualm I have is the Private Message interface on mobile). It seems confusing and a lot of stuff on the top of the page that gets squished. Otherwise I like it!
- Vengeance76

"I'll be whatever I wanna do."

Hellsong
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 39 SHIPS

Post#19 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Flexo wrote:1920x617px is with it is now. I think it can be any height. It needs to fade to black on the bottom with no hard transitions. It also needs to be highly compressed. Figure a 150Kb maximum. Make it graytones if you can't get it compressed enough. If you use color, stick with teal and blue tones mostly.

It's ~ 233kb, and I probably could compress it a bit to get it under 200kb if you want.

** Follow PXPOfficial on Twitter today! **

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#20 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:50 am

Thanks to those of you helping me with suggestions for the board. I activated a new template and this one will let me do a lot more customization. It's adapted from a World of Warcraft template so you may catch some gothic elements here and there.

Post here if you find anything that needs attention. I am eager for good suggestions.

PanicPuddles
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 4 SHIPS

Post#21 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:24 am

looks good just seems a bit squishy lol might just have to get used to it :P

Hellsong
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 39 SHIPS

Post#22 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:11 am

It's a little hard to see the new posts. Is there a New Posts link that I'm not seeing?

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#23 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:31 am

There is a pulldown at the top that has both "new posts" and "unread posts".

Also there is a little bright blue indicator in the lower right corner for forums that have new content.

Fodder
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 7 SHIPS

Post#24 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:26 am

On my wishlist:

If possible please set it so all URLs open in a new tab by default. I will follow someones link and then when I am done (or disgusted depending on who's link I follow) I close the tab out of habit only to remember that that was the same tab I was browsing the forum in.

This may just be me, but I have been conditioned to new things opening in new tabs.

Hellsong
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 39 SHIPS

Post#25 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks Flexo, I see it now. Very slick!

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#26 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:55 am

Hellsong wrote:
Flexo wrote:1920x617px is with it is now. I think it can be any height. It needs to fade to black on the bottom with no hard transitions. It also needs to be highly compressed. Figure a 150Kb maximum. Make it graytones if you can't get it compressed enough. If you use color, stick with teal and blue tones mostly.

It's ~ 233kb, and I probably could compress it a bit to get it under 200kb if you want.

Sorry, I had to make a switch to another template and can't use this image anymore. Thank you for the effort though.

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#27 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:57 am

Fodder wrote:On my wishlist:

If possible please set it so all URLs open in a new tab by default. I will follow someones link and then when I am done (or disgusted depending on who's link I follow) I close the tab out of habit only to remember that that was the same tab I was browsing the forum in.

This may just be me, but I have been conditioned to new things opening in new tabs.

I'm not quite sure how to do this globally. You do mean for just the links inside messages, correct?

I'm pretty happy with this new look. It needs a few tweaks but I think it's better than we had before.

Fodder
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 7 SHIPS

Post#28 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:45 pm

Flexo wrote:
Fodder wrote:On my wishlist:

I'm not quite sure how to do this globally. You do mean for just the links inside messages, correct?

I'm pretty happy with this new look. It needs a few tweaks but I think it's better than we had before.

I am digging the look as well!

There should should be a setting on how to handle external links. Hmm, looks like there may not be. Without knowing the specifics of the boards setup beyond it is a phpbb board this is as close as I could get:
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/artodia:_ultra_blue/support/topic/124671

So to be clear, when you click this link it open in this same tab, meaning when you were done looking at it you would need to "Go Back" however many times to get back to the PXP forum. If it were to open in a new tab all one would need to do is close that tab and be back in the forum. I hope that makes sense...

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#29 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:09 pm

Yeah, we are using a totally different template. The one you linked was for the old version of PHPBB. I think you've given me some good hints though and I can probably find the equivalent functions in the new template.

STLYoungblood
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 22 SHIPS

Post#30 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:25 pm

This one is fantastic

Wizywig
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 3 SHIPS

Post#31 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:36 pm

Good work, sir. If you REALLY wanna get fancy with forum software, this is basically the top of the line: https://www.discourse.org/

Though don't know if there exists a good migration tool.

Regarding css and friends, if you can append a ?foo to the end of every css file it will create a cachebuster. If "foo" can be replaced with some random string every time you update the site, you will never have caching issues.

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#32 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:21 pm

My problems were not with caching after all. The previous template required any changes to the CSS file to be run through a compiler and then applied to the site. It was too much of a pain in the ass. I like this template much better as it uses straightforward CSS that I can understand and make rapid changes to the site as a result.

Return to “Planet Express Lobby”