This forum brought to you by Molten Boron! PUBLIC ACCESSIBLE FORUM
Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Very good article on PC Audio.

Post#1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:32 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... _headsets/

I've been recommending getiing a good headset with the Zalman clip on mic for a long time. This really good article explains how to get even better sound for less than the cost of a "premium" gaming headset.

Another thing that reinforces my prior opinion is that motherboard audio is fine and add on cards are not worth it or can even make sound worse.

I put a bunch of the stuff recommended in this article in my Amazon wish list and will go that route when I need a new headset.

Fodder
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 7 SHIPS

Re: Very good article on PC Audio.

Post#2 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:56 am

Good Article, thanks for sharing! I am moving soon which will mean a redesign of the battle station. I like everything about the headphones I have except that they hold in the heat and make my ears sweat after a while. I think I will go one of these routes and save the set I have when I don't want the sound to get out, or outside noises in.

Some good ways to save some DollaryDoos/FreedomBucks in that article.

Fomites

Post#3 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:32 am

Good article. I've been buying higher end soundblaster cards for a long time, but have come around to the onboard camp for gaming/chatting. The breakout boxes offering different inputs on the front panel and ease of hw/sw switching have been worth it, but in terms of sound quality for the average consumer...meh.

I think my next option will be a desktop, usb-based sound solution, featuring fingertip access to bells and whistles.

As an aside, the card I use is an Recon3d Professional. The software/HW interface is pretty poor, but adequate. I switch between some very nice headphones and an a legacy 4.1 (yes, 4.1) system--little good cubes, one small sub.

The x-fi Music card was the last, best consumer-level affordable card I've owned. I'd still be using it, but I think one of the capacitors are blown. The Recon3d is only adequate, and I'm glad I caught it on fire sale. The extensive front panel options are the only redeeming quality, for me, BUT the front panel is very, very, very nice :)
Founding Member of the Applying Reduced Signatures Empire Syndicate, Reserve United Spacecadets(ARSES'R'US)

AMKA
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 48 SHIPS

Post#4 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Great article. Thank you for posting.

STLYoungblood
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 22 SHIPS

Post#5 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:19 pm

I was starting to look around for a new headset as the G35 squeezes the hell out of my ears when wearing glasses and it's starting to breakdown after years of service. After reading this and going out and doing some research, I ended up picking up a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's. I'm pretty excited to give them a shot!

STLYoungblood
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 22 SHIPS

Post#6 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:01 pm

STLYoungblood wrote:I was starting to look around for a new headset as the G35 squeezes the hell out of my ears when wearing glasses and it's starting to breakdown after years of service. After reading this and going out and doing some research, I ended up picking up a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's. I'm pretty excited to give them a shot!

I first gave them a go in true stereo, and the sound was awesome in music, but in games it was a really hard adjustment. Flying by the terraformer in SC for example resulted in one side blaring the whooom sound with the other mostly silent. Did some research, and found out the free Razer audio studio does a really nice job with 7.1 emulation. Downloaded, set up, got back in game...

HOLY SHIT. The positional audio is far better than my g35 that was made to do it, I'm hearing things I've never heard in games, the balance is much better even though that means slight more toned down bass, it's still there though. The comfort level is amazing...I'm seriously glad about this purchase!

cjaybird80
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 5 SHIPS

Post#7 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:09 pm

That's awesome , might have to look into those when i get my next headset.

cjaybird80
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 5 SHIPS

Post#8 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:19 pm

Also what are you going to use for your mic on mumble now ?

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#9 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:52 pm

I have a large head (overpowered brain). Would these fit well? Do they squeeze the ears tightly?

STLYoungblood
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 22 SHIPS

Post#10 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:02 pm

I'll end up using my Yeti most likely, but I may end up getting a standalone mic and rig it up. Something like the vmoda boom for example.

Flex - in hat sizes, I'm about a 7 3/8, and it was very comfortable even while wearing glasses. It's tight enough to be snug on the head, but not so much that I notice any real squeeze

Slider
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 44 SHIPS

Post#11 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:45 pm

STLYoungblood wrote:Flex - in hat sizes, I'm about a 7 3/8, and it was very comfortable even while wearing glasses. It's tight enough to be snug on the head, but not so much that I notice any real squeeze

Most any headset can be "Broken-In" to fit large (thick or hollow) craniums more comfortably, by just mounting the headset on something larger than your head during off hours ;)
but be careful not to stretch the tension too much too early and be somewhat incremental about it... and be even more careful with a headset that may appear to be weak or fragile in it's design or build quality.

ian747474
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 15 SHIPS

Post#12 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:05 pm

STLYoungblood wrote:
STLYoungblood wrote:I was starting to look around for a new headset as the G35 squeezes the hell out of my ears when wearing glasses and it's starting to breakdown after years of service. After reading this and going out and doing some research, I ended up picking up a pair of Sennheiser HD 558's. I'm pretty excited to give them a shot!

I first gave them a go in true stereo, and the sound was awesome in music, but in games it was a really hard adjustment. Flying by the terraformer in SC for example resulted in one side blaring the whooom sound with the other mostly silent. Did some research, and found out the free Razer audio studio does a really nice job with 7.1 emulation. Downloaded, set up, got back in game...

HOLY SHIT. The positional audio is far better than my g35 that was made to do it, I'm hearing things I've never heard in games, the balance is much better even though that means slight more toned down bass, it's still there though. The comfort level is amazing...I'm seriously glad about this purchase!

Now that you've had some time with them do you still like them as much as you did when you first got them? I'm looking for some new headphones as the one I have seams to be crapping out on me :(

STLYoungblood
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 22 SHIPS

Post#13 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:31 am

yea, the sound quality is amazing, and the comfort is unreal. So much lighter than the headsets I've used before. I also appreciate the open back design allowing you to still retain a bit of environmental awareness around you and gives them a bigger 'soundstage"

STLYoungblood
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 22 SHIPS

Post#14 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:55 am

I use the 558s,but this is a great deal:

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-59 ... TR5SVMF217

theonly500
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 3 SHIPS

Post#15 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:57 am

If you want some indepth reviews of Headphones, there is this: https://www.youtube.com/user/ZeosReviews youtube channel, which is quite informative. Although he compares them from a Audiophile point of view, wich is definetly the best view for gaming, you can get at least get a good enough view of quality and stuff like that

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#16 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:37 pm

I got the headphones mentioned in the article and they are not as good as I hoped. They have good audio but they are rather uncomfortable. I recommend something else. The Antlion mic that you attach to the headphones is okay except for the fact that you need to wind the cord along with the headphone cord and that end up looking cheesy.

Return to “Planet Express Lobby”