ImageImage

New SC Wannabe!

This forum brought to you by Molten Boron! PUBLIC ACCESSIBLE FORUM
StarCrusherINC
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 3 SHIPS

New SC Wannabe!

Post#1 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi PXP crew. It has been mentioned to me by a coworker that I should not bother building a PC from scratch but instead look to upgrade my current i7 PC despite the fact it is seven years old. Here is a link to my PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883108569

Does anyone have advise for me on whether or not I should bother trying to upgrade such an old PC? If possible what would I need to purchase to be able to play SC and keep my PC viable for at least another three years?

Also I am happy to be the new guy and thanks for all the advice on mumble already.

Space_Herpe
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 45 SHIPS

Re: New SC Wannabe!

Post#2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm no expert by any stretch of the word, but I would start from scratch and build a rig that's maybe 1 to 2 years old. These guys know more than I ever needed to know I think.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4899&hilit=new+rig
My current rig:
Ultra Etorque mid tower gaming case
Asus x99-A motherboard
Intel i7-5820K Liquid cooled (Captain240)
16GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM
1TB SSD
MSI GFORCE GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Corsair RM 1000x power supply
windows 10
And I plan on upgrading video card and adding 16GB more ram ( my Christmas present to myself)
Attachments
20160827_201439_resized.jpg
20160827_115152_resized.jpg

Flexo
Site Admin
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 2 SHIPS

Post#3 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:59 pm

I think a rig that would handle Star Citizen well would be in the $800 range right now (excluding monitor, keyboard, etc). What you should do is decide exactly what your budget is and we can recommend a shopping list for you that would not exceed that amount. I don't think upgrading the Lenovo is going to be a good way to go. You are right, the CPU is not that bad but to use it you'll have to buy an older motherboard and that means older/slower RAM and other compromises.

I think when you factor in all the fun you'll be having with Star Citizen that a good midrange upgrade would be money well spent. Think about it and we'll help the best we can.

Guys, let's not put up system specs that are out of the reach of the average gamer. He's not in the high end of the market and we want to give him good advice.

StarCrusherINC
CLICK HERE TO SEE
MY 3 SHIPS

Post#4 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:02 pm

If I upgrade my rig I plan on spending under $500. If I buy a whole new rig while transferring over my HDD and DVD-RW I would spend no more than $800. Not looking for anything special just standard setting play in 1080p.

Return to “Planet Express Lobby”